Wallace deported back to U.S.

Article originally appeared in: Sun Media


Now that Timothy Wallace has been deported back to the U.S., justice can finally be served, says the mother of one of his alleged murder victims.

Sissy Brady said she is relieved to learn Wallace is back on American soil after his lengthy fight to stay in Canada, citing fears he could face the death penalty if convicted of killing his ex-wife Brandy and her friend Billy Hassell.

Several weeks ago, a diplomatic deal was struck after U.S. assurances were made the death penalty would not be sought in Wallace’s case.

The Canadian government made the decision to deport the fugitive shortly afterwards. Brady said she was angry to learn Wallace would be protected from execution if convicted of killing her son and Brandy but said she’s glad he’s back in Arkansas.

“I feel 100% he should have to face the death penalty but they did what they had to do to get him back here to stand trial,” she said from her home in Benton, Ark.

“Now justice will be served.”

Brady said she will be at every single court appearance made by Wallace until the trial concludes.

He was scheduled to leave Calgary on an early morning flight on Thursday but sources say the plane didn’t take off until later in the afternoon due to mechanical problems.

Wallace’s lawyer Karen Molle said it’s believed he will be flying to Dallas where he will be picked up by FBI agents and taken to Arkansas.

The 43-year-old was charged with shooting Brandy and Hassell in Benton in 2005.

Wallace admitted to the killings but while awaiting trial fled to Canada and was arrested by the RCMP at a motel in Longview, about 60 km south of Calgary.

Since his arrest, he was being held at the Calgary Remand Centre awaiting the Canadian government’s decision on his pre-removal risk assessment.

He argued that if he was deported back to Arkansas he could face the death penalty — considered cruel and unusual punishment in Canada.

Thursday, Molle said her client was relieved to be returning to the U.S. knowing that his execution is no longer a possibility.

“He’s very appreciative of the fact that burden has been removed but he still faces a double-murder trial and he has concerns about whether it will be a fair trial,” she said.