In the News

Man jailed for Calgary Stampede threats

A man who threatened to use a machine gun to kill more than 1,000 people at last year’s Calgary Stampede has been sentenced to two years in jail. [The Accused] sent an e-mail to the Calgary fire department threatening to use semi-automatic weapons at the Stampede.

Calgary Stampede threat warrants prison time, says prosecution

Sentencing arguments wrapped up today in the case of a man who threatened to kill hundreds of people at last year's Calgary Stampede. [The accused], 29, pleaded guilty in January to uttering death threats, possession of unauthorized firearms and two counts of breaching conditions in relation to an email he sent to the Calgary Fire Department on May 26, 2013.

Calgary caregiver who left client sitting in his own feces has charges dropped

“The facts of [The accused]s case didn’t meet the required standard of proof for the purpose of proving a charge of failing to provide the necessities,” defence counsel Greg Dunn explained. Dunn agreed with the man’s mom that his client’s case fell through cracks in the system which would have led to provincial charges if the victim was a child.

Man fatally stabbed during mailbox break-in, court hears

A city man was fatally stabbed during a dispute in which he tried to break into the mail box of his assailant at a southwest apartment complex two years ago, court heard during sentencing arguments on Thursday.

Man pleads guilty to manslaughter in 2010 stabbing death

Facing a potential life sentence on second-degree murder in the stabbing death of a man at a southwest Calgary apartment more than two years ago, [The accused] pleaded guilty through his lawyer Greg Dunn on Tuesday to manslaughter.

Cancer fraudster pleads guilty

He was assaulted at the Calgary Remand Centre last week. [The accused]'s lawyer, Joel Chevrefils said his client received a concussion, a broken nose, black eyes and a bruised spleen.

Cancer fraudster sentencing delayed pending psych tests

The Calgary man who faked cancer to swindled cash at a fundraising event needs further psychiatric testing. [The Accused] pleaded guilty in September to fraud at the first court appearance he was able to make after being hospitalized following a Calgary Remand Centre beating.

Lawyer for Bolsa shooter seeking mistrial

Lawyers for one of three men convicted in Calgary’s New Year’s Day massacre will seek a mistrial because of evidence which surfaced before his sentencing.

UPDATE: Stunning development in Bolsa triple murder trial

Sentencing in the trial of [The accused], one of the men convicted in a gang-related triple murder at the Bolsa restaurant, has been delayed because of new evidence. Court has heard the crown’s star witness in the shooting, known as “MM”, confessed to RCMP a year ago to being the sole killer.

Jury deliberations in Bolsa murder trial drag into second day

The jury continues to deliberate for the second day on the fate of a 28-year-old Calgary man facing three counts of first-degree murder in the New Year’s Day 2009 shooting deaths of two rival gang members and a bystander at the Bolsa Restaurant.

Get a Consultation

The use of this form for communication with the firm does not establish a lawyer-client relationship.  Confidential or time-sensitive information should not be sent through this form.